Jeff Dawson is a Vancouver based producer, songwriter, engineer and mixer. He is best known for developing and producing the debut self titled album of Daniel Powter which contained the hit single “Bad Day”.That single held the number one spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 for five consecutive weeks, broke records with 2.5 million downloads and has CD sales of over three million copies.
An established writer, Jeff spent a good part of 2013 penning songs for many different artists including Warner’s Eleven Past One and 604’s Faber Drive. He’s written singles with Laurell who’s “Unbreakable” went top 20 on the radio charts in 2013. X Factors darling Reed Demming included two songs on his debut EP; “Mercy On Me” and “Just Imagine” were both co-written by Dawson. Past releases are singles by Jaydee Bixby (“Always Love My Country”), Suzy McNeal (“Nothing More To Say”) among many others. Jeff has also had numerous film and TV placements on shows including Rookie Blue,
Degrassi, Necessary Roughness and Telus. Jeff’s body of work also includes:
– The Duet “Together” with Rykka (winner 2013’s Peak Performance Project) and Bestie (3rd place 2013’s Peak Performance Project).
– Two albums for Calgary’s The Dudes (Barbers Thieves and Bartenders and Blood Guts Bruises Cuts). Both albums produced multiple singles and top 40 radio success.
– Pop rockers State Of Shock’s album “Life Love And Lies” which was certified Gold and included the #1 hit single “Money Honey” along with three other top ten singles (“Best I Ever Had”, “Too Pretty” and “Hearts That Bleed”).The success of “Life Love And Lies” triggered a bidding war and subsequent US record deal with Universal/Republic. Dawson also produced the follow up album “Rock ‘n Roll Romance”.
– Former Destiny Child diva Kelly Rowland and her top ten single “Unity”.
– The critically acclaimed album by Marcy Playground (Leaving Wonderland In A Fit Of Rage).
Jeff has lent his engineering skills to the likes of Ryan Tedder, Nas and Much Music’s Soda Pop “Pop Goes The World” (with proceeds going to UNICEF) featuring Emily Osment (Hanna Montana), Danny Fernandez, Jesse Labelle,The New Cities and Alyssa Reid.
Be it producing or writing, Jeff does not waver from his mantra “It’s all about the song!”. Regardless of genre, the same constant applies to every act: fierce focus on song structure coupled with both player and vocalist performing at their very best.